Thursday, November 28, 2013

Thankful Thoughts

Throughout the month of November, I have trolled social media reading countless "30 Days of Thankful" posts.  I often found myself being annoyed. There are only so many trivial things this girl can take.  Quickly, my annoyance turned to anger and resentment.  "Why do these people get to be thankful for good coffee and sleeping in, while I sit here and wonder if my child is going to make it through the night?"  I have since reminded myself that even just 6 months ago, my list would have been very similar to the seemingly shallow posts I was beginning to despise.  In just a few short months my family and I have learned more life lessons than most people do over the span of 70 years.  A roller coaster of tears and tragedy, love and laughs we have emerged different people.  Better people.  While I  can still appreciate the smalls joys in life, I have learned what to truly be thankful for.


First and foremost, baby Brandt is finally home.  After 12 days in the NICU, being on life support, having a spinal tap, and utterly fighting for his life, our beautiful boy is happy, healthy, and a true bright spot in our lives.  He's laid back, loves to snuggle, and eats very well.  I am so thankful for the phenomenal NICU nurses, charges, NNPs, neonatologists, and unit secretaries that helped care for Brandt and made us feel like  family during our stay.

Dow had a follow-up MRI this week.  The images appear to be stable and we are one step away from starting the first clinical trial, but his physician is so sure we can make the last hurdle he is scheduled to begin December 2.  The people we have met during this process have made the unbearable moments bearable.  Neurosurgeons and oncologists to pharmacy techs and insurance case managers. These guides have been so helpful every step of the way and have made this maze navigable.

And to the countless family members, friends, coworkers, and acquaintances: we are so thankful to have you in our lives.  We have been humbled by the love, support, and multifaceted generosity that all of you have given.  These are the things I will spend this time of giving thanks thinking about.   I have many more than 30 things to be thankful for, and only one day to express them.  This gesture is small and doesn't even scratch the surface of how deep our gratitude runs. Thank you.    

No comments:

Post a Comment